Small Town News

Science

CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING RISK RISES

The Issaquah Press of Issaquah, Washington

- Advertisement -



Temperatures in the Issaquah area clipped below freezing in recent days-and a harsh winter forecast could mean more intense cold in the months ahead.

The risk of injury or death from carbon monoxide poisoning increases as the temperature falls. Carbon monoxide poison ng can strike suddenly and withe ut warning.

In some cases, physiciil symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include severe headache, nausea and vomiting, and lethargy and fatigue. Head outside for resh air immediately and call for medical help from a mobile phone or a neighbor's home if carbor monoxide poisoning occurs.

State and local public health officials urge residents to take precautions to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning:

Avoid combustion "space heaters" without exhaust vents.

Do not cook or heat with charcoal grills inside the home.

Gas ovens should not be used as indoor heat sources, even for a short time.

During a power outage or at other times, do not operate fuel-powered machinery-such as a generator-indoors, including inside a garage. Keep running generators nway from open windows or vents.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. The substance cannot be seen or smelled-but can kill a person in minutes.

Original Publication Date: January 18, 2012



More from The Issaquah Press