'Lost everything I own'

By The Democrat Reporter staff

The Democrat Reporter of Linden, Alabama

When the wind whipped the flames at Rickey and Carolyn Avery's house Saturday morning at 4:30, no department could have saved it. In minutes the house was a pile of ashes. Linden Fire Department and the Marengo County Fire and Rescue Squad sped to the scene Nov. 15 on Providence Street in Providence. Avery said when he went into the kitchen to make coffee, the power flickered and he looked around. "That whole end of the house was on fire." He said he lost everything he owned. Avery guessed that a heater he had wired must have caused the fire to start. He got out with only the clothes he was wearing. The heat was intense and fire fighters hosed down his vehicles and his propane tank. At one point, a mist was sprayed on the Linden fire truck. The shed for his tools was almost smoldering so the firemen hosed it down, too. The morning before, the rescue squad responded to a mobile home fire on Co. Rd. 13 (old Highway 80), but it was a total loss, too. A third family lost its home in Thomaston Sunday morning, Nov. 16. The old Gerald Whitley home was occupied by a female, Dora Pruett, who was awakened by her smoke alarm. Fire fighters say this probably saved her life as the heart pine lumber and the wind made it impossible to extinguish the fire. Linden Fire Department and the Marengo County Fire and Rescue Squad answered Thomaston's request for assistance but the early dawn fire had advanced too far.

Copyright 2014 The Democrat Reporter, Linden, Alabama. All Rights Reserved. This content, including derivations, may not be stored or distributed in any manner, disseminated, published, broadcast, rewritten or reproduced without express, written consent from SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Read Full Article at Democrat Reporter&pid=93&catid=12&catname=Disaster and Accident